- B.S. in Engineering in 1951 from the U.S. Naval Academy, Annapolis, MD, and a Ph.D. in
Oceanography in 1974 from the Scripps Institution of Oceanography of the University of California, San Diego.
- Stanford University Graduate School of Aeronautics & Astronautics, Lecturer 1964-65.
- University of California, San Diego, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, Lecturer 1980-1997
- University of California, San Diego, Mechanical and Aeronautical Engineering Departmen
t, Adjunct Professor 1984-1990.
- Texas A&M University Civil Engineering Department, Professor 1991-1997.
- Ph.D. students advised, Daniel M. Hanes, Stephen L. Elgar, Jonathan D.Trent, James K.
Orzech, James P. Barry, Eloi Melo, Waldo W. Wakefield, David B. King Jr, Forrest E. Sloan,
William C. O'Reilly, Michelle S. Okihiro, Karl E. Rieder, Edith Gallagher, Zvi Friedman,
Nels J. Sultan, Eustorgio Meza Conde.
- M.S. students advised, Alan L. Higgins, Akihiko Hirayama, Bradley DeRoos, Sean Wiggins
, Vincent Guerandel, Wilfred J. Lemasson, Stephen Riedl, Andrew C. Sarat, Stephane Vignet,
Srikrishna Muraldidharan, Charles Zimmermann.